WELCOME TONew Kent Christian School
NOW ENROLLING KINDERGARTEN – 5th GRADE PRIMARY EDUCATION
Local, Private, Christian Education in New Kent, Virginia
Conveniently Located in New Kent — Serving families from Williamsburg to Sandston & Charles City to Mechanicsville!
2021-2022 SCHOOL YEAR REGISTRATION
K5 up to 5th GRADE!
1st Grade & 2nd Grade
3rd Grade & 4th Grade
*Growing a grade a year: 5th Grade coming for the 2021-2022 School Year
9660 Tunstall Road, New Kent, VA 23124
Private School Hours
Phone & Email
Resources for enrolled families
View the supplies list, dress code, and more.
Who we are
New Kent Christian School is New Kent County’s alternative to traditional public education. This private school offers smaller class sizes with a Christian curriculum and is operated on Christian principles as a ministry of New Kent Christian Center.
In Kindergarten, your student will be given the foundation for a lifelong love of reading and learning! The quick success that your kindergartner gains by learning to read phonetically make reading so much fun! They will soon become an independent reader with stories that keep their interest.
- Phonics—Your child will enjoy carefully sequenced activities that will teach them vowels, consonants, blends, one- and two-vowel words, and special sounds.
- Reading—Building on this foundation of phonics, by end of the first semester your child will actually be reading little readers!
- Cursive writing—The continuous flow of cursive writing is much more natural for little ones than the starts and stops of manuscript writing. Research shows that learning cursive writing improves a child’s hand-eye coordination, motor skills, and other brain and memory functions, including increased focus and prolonged attention. Prepare to be amazed at your child’s beautiful writing skills as they learn good techniques from the beginning.
- Numbers—Your child will memorize addition facts up through the number 10 and will be able to identify what numbers come before and after any number from 1 to 100. They will also begin to learn about subtraction, complete one-step story problems with addition, and recognize the largest and smallest numbers from a set of numbers.
- Development Skills—The coloring pages, mazes, directed-art pages, and other activities will aid your kindergartener in the development of writing readiness, hand-eye coordination, visual perception, listening and thinking skills, and good character.
First Grade Students will enjoy a well-rounded school year with language arts, arithmetic, history, geography, science and health, art and music, and chapel! By the end of first grade, your child will have made amazing leaps in learning! They will be able to recognize and use all the phonic sounds—including 132 special sounds—needed to phonetically read words!
- Phonics—Regardless of your child’s phonics background, we will turn him into a reader!
- Reading—Engaging in reading books plus daily systematic practice teaches word analysis skills, builds vocabulary, increases reading comprehension, and further develops the thinking process. And they will love the stories and Bible reading!
- Language–Early work in language skills increases your child’s thinking and writing skills. They will learn to write complete sentences and turn them into stories!
- Spelling and Poetry—The 30 phonics-based word lists with activities reinforce reading skills and teach spelling.
- Writing—Research shows that learning cursive writing improves a child’s brain and memory functions besides being more natural for little ones than manuscript writing. Phonics, spelling, and creative writing are built into daily writing practice.
- Arithmetic—First graders proudly count and write to 100 by 2s, 3s, 5, and 10s! From adding three-digit numbers to solving simple word problems, your child will grow in math skills and reasoning ability.
- History—Reading about famous American patriots, landmarks, and patriotic songs with an emphasis on good citizenship makes your child want to read to learn!
- Science—Learning about God’s world with hands-on activities makes acquiring basic science concepts fun!
- Health—It is never too early to learn good manners and habits! Learning activities help your child apply good principles of health, safety, and manners.
Second graders are now used to school and are ready to learn even more! They will have a year of interesting, enjoyable learning and skill-building. Your student will gain the knowledge and skills they need for a strong foundation in academics and character training from a Christian perspective.
- Phonics and Reading—Daily practice helps the class reinforce phonics concepts that develop their reading skills. Your student will read aloud books containing classic and modern stories and poetry that are keyed to phonics sounds.
- Language—Your second grader will know how and when to capitalize and how to write complete sentences and even short stories!
- Spelling and Poetry—The 32 phonics-based word lists with activities reinforce reading skills and teach spelling. Starting the second semester, vocabulary words complete with definitions are added.
- Writing—Abeka's step-by-step cursive approach to good penmanship emphasizes neatness and correct letter formation in daily practice.
- Arithmetic—Learning place value, addition and subtraction, money, graphs, measurement, time, temperature, and fractions this year will become a positive experience because of clear instruction and practice.
- History—Your student will read about the people who built America and gain a better understanding of American holidays, patriotic songs, and flag etiquette.
- Science—Your child will boost reading comprehension while developing thinking skills as each student thinks through the “how” and “why” questions behind the basic science of the human body, plants, animals, matter, energy, and space.
- Health—From regular flossing to proper eating, from crossing the street to fire escape plans, from learning to apologize to properly answering the phone, your students will learn how to glorify God in how they take care of themselves and in how they treat others.
As your third grader seeks answers to “Who, what, when, where, why, and how,” our curriculum provides your third grader a strong foundation in academics and life skills from a Christian perspective.
- Reading—Time for increased emphasis on reading speed and comprehension by way of timed reading exercises.
- Language—Here come nouns, verbs, adjectives, and word usage!
- Spelling and Poetry—Vocabulary words and definitions and creative exercises will make your child a spelling artist!
- Penmanship—Practice correct letter formation, spacing, proportion, and slant through writing exercises that include Bible verses and creative writing exercises.
- Arithmetic—This is the year your child will master his multiplication and division facts!
- History—Reading the biographies of 22 people—from Christopher Columbus to Martin Luther King—not only gives your child a chronological understanding of American history but also inspiring character-building qualities to emulate.
- Science—Learning about the body they live in, plants and animals and their habitats, and the weather is not just an academic exercise.
- Health—Good posture, how to stay clean and fight disease, first aid, and the importance of spiritual health are a few of the concepts designed to benefit your child.
Fourth graders are eager to learn all about their world and their place in it. Abeka's engaging curriculum, built on a solid Christian worldview, will keep them captivated as they learn fascinating facts and improve reading comprehension, composition skills, and much more!
- Language Arts
Reading—Reading from classics, modern stories, and poetry gives your child insight into their world and presents them with Christian ideals and spiritual values. Watch their reading comprehension and vocabulary take a leap with the added emphasis on reading speed and comprehension skills.
Grammar and Composition—You will be thrilled to see your fourth grader become more comfortable with correct grammar in conversation and composition.
Spelling, Vocabulary, and Poetry—A straightforward teach/practice/test approach makes spelling “second nature” to your young writer. He will also learn to spell, define, and use 5–10 vocabulary words in each lesson. And what an accomplishment when they can recite poetry from memory!
Penmanship—Daily penmanship practice begins with a review of letter formation and then graduates into creative writing and spelling entries.
- Arithmetic—Learning fractions becomes a positive experience because of clear instruction and extensive practice. As in the other skills subjects, the Abeka program ensures repetition and maintenance of basic skills and builds a foundation of understanding that is necessary for more abstract concepts taught later.
- Science/Health—Fourth graders love the emphasis on nature studies and God’s creative genius in science. In the 7-week Health course, they learn how to keep their bodies healthy.
- History—Hundreds of colorful visuals and a lively narrative writing style may make the story of America’s history your child’s favorite class! Told from a Christian perspective and combined with enjoyable geography and map activities.
Fifth graders will learn so much as we guide your child through the Eastern Hemisphere, research projects, pre-algebra concepts, and much more! The Grade 5 Child Kit contains all essential textbooks and coordinated materials, including assessments, for an entire year of schooling in language arts, arithmetic, science, health, and history.
- Language Arts
Reading—Reading from classics, modern stories, and poetry gives your child a window into their world and presents them with Christian ideals and spiritual values. All that plus increased reading comprehension and vocabulary development!
Grammar and Composition—Fifth graders learn to use their language naturally from the useful, practical way that grammar is taught in conjunction with composition, research, and oral usage.
Spelling, Vocabulary, and Poetry—A straightforward teach/practice/test approach makes spelling “second nature” to your young writer. The interesting weekly lists cover such topics as home, French words, food, and more. Your child will also learn to spell, define, and use 10–20 vocabulary words in each lesson. And what an accomplishment when they recite poetry from memory!
- Penmanship—Daily penmanship practice begins with a review of “trouble-maker” formations and then graduates into creative writing and journal entries.
- Arithmetic—Challenging your child with decimals, more advanced word problems, and basic geometry, all taught step-by-step. As in the other skills subjects, the Abeka program ensures repetition and maintenance of basic skills and builds a foundation of understanding necessary for more abstract concepts.
- Science/Health—Your child will learn all about the mysteries around him—worlds of plants and animals and insects. In the 7-week Health course, fifth graders learn about the intricate design of their bodies, that most marvelous creation of God.
- History—The 300 colorful pictures illustrate the journey from the beginning of recorded history to the present. Along the way, your child will meet explorers and leaders, and missionaries. Told from a Christian perspective and combined with geography and map activities.
Looking to the Future: New Kent Christian School intends to add a grade level each year as we grow and establish a full K-12 private school. We intend to grow with the needs of our community.
Early Release 1:30pm - LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
SUMMER SOAR - OUTDOOR ADVENTURE
Take It From The Parents:
Here is what our parents had to say in a recent survey about New Kent Christian School!
- Overall parent satisfaction with their child’s education. 100% 100%
- Parent satisfaction with the ease of communication with the teacher and private school. 100% 100%
- Parents that feel their child’s emotional, academic, and spiritual needs are being met. 100% 100%
NKCS School CALENDAR
New Kent Christian School is open for the 2020-2021 School Year. In 2021-2022 we will offer Kindergarten – 5th Grade from 8:30 am - 3:30 pm.
Get In Touch
Location: 9660 Tunstall Road, New Kent, VA 23124
Telephone: (804) 557-5774
School Hours: Monday–Friday
Copyright © 2021. New Kent Christian School
Formerly known as New Kent Christian Academy, Primary School (NKCA Primary)
Website Maintained by www.B4WeCreate.com